Friday, October 21, 2011

Keep it simple

A few weeks back, my Grandmother, affectionately known as "Grammy" to my kids, watched and fed the brood while I went to my lady's appointment.  When I went to pick them up, I was met with tales of wonder and amazement by my son.  About what, you ask? Only the world's best chicken noodle soup ever! 
Grammy and L in March 2008
Of course, I was under strict orders to get Grammy's recipe and make some post haste.  Ok...so, its been a while, but with the rain the past couple of days, some chicken breasts in the fridge, and 3 sick ladies, I felt now was the perfect time to make my son his soup.

So, J called Grammy up and got the recipe and then I got to work.  I pretty much did what she does, in many fewer steps, but the principle was the same: keep it simple.  There's no laundry list of ingredients.  There aren't a trillion spices, just salt and pepper.  So here it is:

Chicken Noodle Soup A La Grammy

1 box organic veggie broth
1 box organic chicken broth
2 chicken breasts
1 onion
Handful of baby carrots
2 stalks of celery
Salt and pepper, to taste

I put all of the ingredients into my soup pan on medium heat for about 30 minutes or so, until it was all cooked.  Then, I shredded the chicken with 2 forks and added the last ingredient:

1/2 bag of egg noodles

Brought it all up to a boil for about 10 minutes, until the noodles where cooked, and served.

Feeling quite underwhelmed?  I know I was when I heard the ingredient list (of course, I didn't have bullion powder or the german noodles like she uses, so I subbed my own stuff), and I wonder what could be so spectacular about this boring soup.  Well, let me tell you, it was YUMMY!  L had 4 bowls, Anthony (the kid I watch) had 2, and each of the girls had 1.  I didn't have to fight anyone to eat, and even better, I felt like I served my kids something healthy.

Yay, for keeping it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment