Thursday, December 22, 2011

Tis' the season for giving baked goods

The day started and ended with baked goods.  My J and I went to school and decorated a gingerbread house and cookie.  It was a nice little bonding experience, even though she told me help another kid cause she can do it all by herself.  Gotta love the independence!



Christmas is right around the corner, and tomorrow is the last day of school before L is on vacation.  I've spent a lot of time contemplating the perfect teacher's gift...one that is inexpensive, not wasteful, and will be appreciated. I definitely wanted to stay away from chachkis (okay, I have NO clue how to spell that) and stuff that will just get filed away in a drawer or regifted.  Believe me, I know about regifting, as I'm the queen.  Just don't tell anyone.

I finally happened upon a gift: homemade goodies with a small present.  I decided to make the cake batter bark that I had at the cookie exchange a week ago. I adapted it, slightly, to stay within my budget.  Here's what I did:

1. Melted a bag of Hershey's dark chocolate chips and poured onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Put in the freezer for at least 20 minutes (I was also making cookies, doing laundry and starting dinner while doing this, so sometimes, it was longer)
2. Melted 2 bags of white chocolate chips.  Then mixed in 3 heaping teaspoons of yellow cake mix.  When it had cooled about 5 minutes, I removed the dark chocolate from the freezer and spread it on top, then sprinkled green sugar and red cinnamon sugar on top before putting it back in the freezer.
3. After 20 minutes or so, I removed the bark from the freezer, broke it into pieces, placed it in tupperware and put it in the fridge.

I learned a couple of things:

1. Pour the white chocolate on the dark IMMEDIATELY after removing the dark chocolate from the freezer.
2. Do NOT make a second batch without cleaning the white chocolate bowl.  Reason being, some of the cake mix will remain in the bowl and when you melt the chocolate, that mix will burn.
3. Don't let your hubby try it because then he'll keep sneaking bites.

I learned a tough lesson with the white chocolate chips burning, resulting in the need for an additional homemade goody.  The solution was Cleta Bailey's toffee squares.  These are not toffee, at all.  I didn't really think they were, but I think I just expected them to be more toffee-esque.  They're more like a chocolate and nut topped cookie. Regardless, they were quite good, good enough to be included with the bark.

At a Christmas party the other day, I was able to score a $15 Dunkin' Donuts gift card and a miniature bamboo cutting board. Let the regifting begin!  J's teachers are getting the DD gc and this cute box of treats to share since they always have a cup of Dunkin' joe in the morning.

L's teacher, let's just say that he loves her, apparently loves apples.  He decided a while ago that he needed to get her some for Christmas.  I must say that I'm proud of this clever idea.  I put her treats on the bamboo cutting board and that is going to be given with a bag of organic Gala apples.  Pretty clever, huh?  Well, I think so, since I haven't a creative bone in my body.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I signed up to bring 30 cookies to J's Christmas party tomorrow as well.  The kids are 4, so I really wanted to bring something they would love.  There was a fantastic set of Halloween cookies that another mom brought for that party, and all the kids wanted to have them.  They didn't necessarily eat them, but they wanted them.  What can I say?  I want them to want my cookies, too.  The hunt for a whimsical cookie ensued, and the kids and I chose these melting snowman cookies.  Even P got in on the decorating.
Here's hoping the kids love them.  We even made extra so L could give 1 to each of his classmates.


Here's hoping all of our efforts are enjoyed because I know a tired little girl...and her mommy!
Okay, ignore the outfit.  I did mention that I've been busy, right?
I will leave you with 1 last photo of my kids, niece and nephew at J's Christmas party last night.  Gotta love C's face.
Oh, look! My brother snuck in the back, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment