Monday, September 5, 2011

As I prepare to hit the hay this evening, it makes me think about my son, L, who will embark on a brand new adventure tomorrow...kindergarten.  I got to thinking about how I'd sometimes love to escape back to a world that was so much easier.  Nothing really difficult to worry about, just go to school, play, and go home.  But then, it dawned on me as I thought back to L's bedtime kisses tonight.  He was so ultra excited to start school tomorrow, and if I know my boy, and I do, he is also really scared about starting a new school.  Then, it dawns on me...we are able to deal with all we do on a daily basis because we have been dealing with stuff like that our whole lives.  Sure, to me in my 30's, childhood looks so easy, but I bet to a child, these small things are huge monumental stressors too.  And here, I am thinking its so easy to be a kid.  Maybe its not.  Just some food for thought.

And on that note, I'd like to add that I have packed my very first lunch for my big boy: an all natural (just peanuts and salt) peanut butter and low sugar strawberry jelly sandwich on 100% whole grain bread, an apple, an organic carrot sliced into spears, and some crackers with laughing cow cheese (L's favorite) to spread on there, all along with an aluminum bottle of water.  Wow!  Right now, I'm feeling pretty darn impressed with my healthy lunch.  I wonder how long that will last.  I mean, will he get bored of healthy food?  Will it just be so much easier to buy junk and send it with him?  Will he be teased because he doesn't have any fruit snacks, chips or cookies like he was in preschool?  I don't know.  I sure hope not.  I hope that I can provide healthy options for him so that he'll grow up loving healthy food and not have to deal with the struggles I have everyday; namely, wanting to eat crap all day long and getting fat as a result.  Yes, my friends, I love JUNK FOOD!  Especially the sweet stuff.  Nom nom nom.

I'm trying to buy more organic foods, where it makes sense, is readily available, and (and here is the key) where it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg.  Today, I was able to find organic milk at WalMart for a reasonable price, bought some organic carrots, yogurt, and eggs.  This week, I hope to make it to my local farmer's market to purchase some organic locally grown veggies that I can freeze for the upcoming months.  We'll see how this goes, but I'm hoping it will be successful.  Just a little nervous about taking the 3 girls out without my big helper, though this may give J the opportunity to step up and act like a more mature 4 year old.  Or, should I just say, less lazy since she always relies on L to do everything for her.

I think this school year is going to be an interesting one in the W household, but I'm ready to take on the challenges...or at least I am going to give it my best try, barring any mental breakdowns.  Back to school means taking on new challenges, making new friends, getting back into the swing of things, losing this baby weight, eating healthier, and changing our mind sets.  There is nothing we can't do, as long as we have a positive outlook and we give it our all!  Now, to remember that tomorrow morning when I've got to get 4 kids out of the door, all before 8:30. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment