Tuesday, September 13, 2011

P's boo boo

My husband has found a new passion - obstacle course runs aka mud runs.  It started with the Warrior Dash when I was either 8 or 9 months pregnant.  Q is 11 weeks now and he has now participated in 3 of these events.  This last one though, the Spartan Race, will be his last for quite a while since he unfortunately got a boo boo mid-run.  The kids and I had been waiting for him to come through the finish line when I mentioned to a woman next to me that I was really surprised it was taking him so long to finish.  Her response?  Of course, a heart-warming "I hope he's not laying out there hurt and no one notices him."  Ugh! I couldn't help but get a pit in my stomach.  I have to admit, the thought had crossed my mind earlier, but I just brushed it away.

Not even two minutes later, I heard my phone ring.  "Is this Karen Walker?" said a very stern voice.

"Yes"

"You need to come to the medical tent right now. I have Paul Walker here."

"Uh...where's the medical tent," I asked with my voice shaking.

When the kids and I finally made it across the venue, I was shocked to find an empty tent.  Then, the entourage came out of the connected building.  "Karen Walker.  Right this way!"  They wisked me up the ramp, carrying the stroller, each man with a kid.  I can't even tell you all the thoughts that went through my mind.  I mean, P is in great shape, but I couldn't help but think that perhaps he had a heart attack.  Maybe he fell on or off an obstacle and was impaled by something.  The men said they would watch my kids for me, while I went into the ambulance to check on P.  I seriously thought he was dying.  When I saw him, all strapped to the table, oxygen mask on, my heart broke for him.  Then, I saw his elbow.  It looked like it wasn't even there, like perhaps it had been shattered.  They started asking me questions (age, allergies, ssn, etc...) while they were awaiting to learn to which hospital they would be taking him.  In the end, since he was feeling light headed and had dislocated his elbow, they were told they needed to take him to the nearest trauma center...40 minutes away.

Poor P.  They gave him some pain meds, but not enough to control his pain.  While driving behind the ambulance, I saw the EMT's get up.  Apparently, they were just switching seats, but I couldn't help but think that maybe he went into shock, or passed out, or had that heart attack that I was worried about earlier.

Meanwhile, in the back of the van, L and J were in tears, though J seemed to stop crying when I told them that I had called grandma and she was going to drive the hour and a half to come get them.  C, on the other hand, was absolutely hysterical. She was saying things like, "My daddy in that trunk.  Him have a boo boo.  I gonna kiss it.  Hims dead.  Why my daddy in the trunk that truck?"  She is too hilarious!

Well, to make a long story short, P was in tons of pain, they had to knock him out to put his elbow back in the socket.  Do you think they cleaned the mud off his arm though?  No, of course not.  Instead, they splinted his arm and sent us on our way.  All of this happened on a Saturday.  They told us that it would be 6-8 weeks in a splint, followed by months of physical therapy.


Day 3 - Monday

Day 4 - today
On Monday, P's splint was taken off and he was given a much better prognosis.  In two weeks, he will begin seeing an occupational therapist.




You know, its strange.  You think that your family is healthy.  You never think you have to worry about someone "dying".  Already, I've lost a young and healthy brother.  Saturday, I thought I had almost lost my husband.  Strange how these things put your life into perspective.

Stay safe and healthy all!

No comments:

Post a Comment