Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dinner FAIL

Boy, oh Boy!  It really bites when you plan a dinner out, and then 2 minutes before serving it, you taste it and BLAAHHH--CK...it's disgusting.  That is just what happened to me tonight.

The other day, whilst rearranging my kitchen (I moved the pots and pans to the closet and the food to the lazy susan- best. move. ever.), I came across a box of chocolate chamomile celestial seasonings tea.  On the inside cover, there was a recipe for chamomile cauliflower soup.  I'm adventurous.  It's a vegan recipe.  I have all the ingredients.  How could it get more perfect?

I'll tell you...it could taste good.  Here's the recipe, in a nutshell:
With 3 cups of water and 6 tea bags, make tea for 5 minutes.  Cook a head of cauliflower in it.  In another pan, saute 2 ribs of celery and 1/4 cup of onion until they're soft.  Blend all the veggies with about a cup of tea.

It tastes like tea with a thick texture.  I called each of the kids in so that they could taste it, to see how we could make it better.  We added salt and pepper.  Still blah.  Then, I got this idea. P is British.  He loves tea with sugar and milk in it.  How about giving that a try?  I added 3 packets of Truvia and some almond milk.  I thought that just might make it palatable to the kids.

I pulled the freshly baked bread from the oven and dipped it in the soup.  All 4 of my walking family dipped the bread in the soup.  All 4 turned their noses up.  C said, "ummm...no.  I no yike that. Its yuck."

I guess that there will be some mistakes and fails when it comes to finding yummy plant-strong food to feed my family.  I just hate that it costs me time and money.  Blah!

Dinner?  Kids: raw carrots and pb&j  mommy: panini with hummus, cucumber, arugula, spring mix, tomatoes, mustard, avocado  P: well, he got full off of our freshly baked cinnamon raisin bread

Lunch: we just snacked today on fruit...bananas and clementines

Breakfast: P and all the kids: Organic Toasted O's with almond milk and a touch of maple syrup mixed in, me and the girls: 1/2 sprouted wheat English Muffin with pb&j on it

Let's hope tomorrow's meal is much better than tonight's.  It shouldn't be too hard to surpass Yuck-o!  Maybe cheese-less homemade pizza or vegan meatloaf.

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny!! I tried to get creative in the kitchen last week and make my own recipe. My family loves these chicken thighs in a mustard, maple, garlic and tarragon glaze. So, I decided to do it with butternut squash. Epic FAIL!!

    ReplyDelete