Monday, February 13, 2012

wwYOUd?

Did you see last week's What Would You Do? on ABC?  They had a really interesting bit about veganism / food preferences.  Essentially, a vegan mom and her child go out to eat when she has to step away from the table.  Now, all alone, the child is offered meat by the couple at the next table.  This couple seems extremely consumed by their concern that the child is not receiving enough protein in her diet, so they order her a hot dog.  wwYOUd?

It made me think about the conversations P and I have been having about how sacred people's food/diet choices are to them.  Have you ever noticed that people are way passionate about their diet choices?  Whether its vegetarian, vegan, paleo, carnivorous, boxed/convenience food, etc..., people get extremely upset and offended if you don't agree with them. *Okay, here's the disclosure:  This is obviously a broad generalization, as I am friends with several people with conflicting diet choices with whom I am able to have very good conversations around food.  This is more of a generalized comment on the population as a whole.* I know that one of my brothers seemed very upset when he found out that we were reducing our meat consumption. "I am a carnivore!  Why would God give us canine teeth if he didn't want us to eat meat?!"  Of course, I have a response, but there comes a time in one's life that you realize that there are some people you just don't argue with because frankly, you will never agree.  My brother is one of these people.  Come to think of it, most of my siblings are like this.
My dad and niece
We must have gotten this temperament from our father.

But, I digress...Anyway...I was happy to see that most people stepped in to stop the meat pushers, but what bugged me is the fact that I can envision people doing this in real life; trying to convince your child that your diet choices are not healthy.

Now, I say that, but we do this slightly, with trying to convince others to eat fewer processed and high fat and sugar foods.  So, where do we draw the line?  When is it that you think it is appropriate to step in and comment to a child or their parent about their family food choice.  Now, this doesn't mean to ask questions for understanding. This means to tell them that they are wrong and force your opinions upon them.

Oh, and another really thought-provoking thing I saw on TV.  I LOVE it!  Click the link and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment