Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Monster Within

We all have a little bit of a monster, right?  When the kids act up.  When the spouse is just not getting it.  And when you smell, or worse yet, you taste sugar!  

No need to read that again.  You saw it right the first time.  I have a sugar-craving monster inside of me.  I'm okay until the stress hits or I see it or taste it.  Just one itsy bitsy little taste sends me into a sugar-eating nightmare.  

It becomes all I think about.  Its like a drug. My whole being is now focused on the attainment of sugar.  Where is it?  How can I get it? What can I make with it? How much can I get?  How quickly?  How many different flavors?  Why has it been so long since I had the last bite?

Everything in moderation. I can hear you thinking it.  Don't deprive yourself.  That's not the problem.  I've done it all.  I swear, the sugar triggers something and out comes that monster...with vengeance!  

That monster spends the rest of the day searching for the next hit.  



This is you.
This is you on sugar!

Yesterday, I had it bad.  And I. Mean. Bad. I think its the stress of C's appointment with her urologist tomorrow.  We are hoping for the news that her anatomy has self-corrected, but if it hasn't, I'm just hoping to move forwards quickly with the surgery.  That way, it can be a distant memory as quickly as possible, with little to no impact on her park time, come the spring.


Today, instead of resorting to donuts or chocolate, I opted for a healthier sweet treat when L requested oatmeal cookies.  He had a couple during his 100th day of School celebration and thought it would be nice for the girls to have some, too.  Now, that's a sweet boy!

Muffiny-Oatmeal Cookies
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups hot water
1 tsp cinnamon
2 shakes of ground allspice
1 shake of ground nutmeg
2 shakes of pink sea salt
3 packets of Truvia
1 mashed ripe banana (mine was rather large)
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup raisins

Mix the oats, spices, salt, Truvia and coconut.  Add the water and let it sit while you mash the banana, just so that the water has time to penetrate the oats.  Add the banana and raisins.  If you need to add more water, do so, so that there is a nice consistency.  You don't want them to be overly moist or overly dry.  Bake at 375, turning and flattening about 10 minutes into cooking.  Cook another 8-10 minutes.

I wish I could give real baking times, but my oven sucks, for the lack of a better word.

The results: These were extremely moist. I don't even think that needed the Truvia for sweetness, but I was a little worried that they may not have.  The bananas make them very moist and fluffy.  These reminded me a really soft granola cookie.  I think next time, I'll shape them into squares or rectangles, kind of like bars.  The kids loved them, but weren't overly keen on the raisins.   It satisfied the sweet tooth, and I'm pretty sure that with a few chocolate chips, they'd satisfy that craving, too!  Definitely a keeper!

Good night, little monster!  Its time for you to settle down and mellow out.  I've got another 18 pounds to drop.  Leave!



Nom. Nom. Nom. Nom.  Me go right after me finish ALL these COOKIES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment