Tuesday, April 5, 2011

But I don't like shrimp!

My girlfriend and I were discussing her weekly menu when she said she was going to be making shrimp.  Shrimp?  Really.  I had shrimp in my freezer, but really no clue about how or when I was going to be using it, so of course, I drilled her about her plans for her shrimp...shrimp and veggie kabobs cooked on her indoor grill plate.  Ok...so, I don't have any more kabob sticks nor do I own a grill plate.  Now my craving for shrimp was feeling farther and farther away.

After scouring the Internet for a recipe that my husband wouldn't hate and one that used only ingredients I had on hand, I came upon one that met my criteria: shrimp veracruz recipe.  Of course, there was no way that I was going to serve anything with jalapeños to my kids, so I just modified the recipe as they suggested.  So easy!

Essentially, I sauted an onion, red bell pepper, 3 tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, and a handful of slice green olives with a bay leaf.  Since the shrimp I had were already cooked and deveined, I simply added them when the tomatoes began to break down in order to warm them up.  When I served it with veggies, I just sprinkled some lime juice over them.  L and P..."but, I don't like shrimp!"

Meanwhile, the girls were both asking for 2nds and 3rds.  The verdict: P enjoyed them, several of them, and L ate his 3, but wasn't interested in having any additional ones.  Thumbs up for this recipe.  The sauce ended up being something that disguised the fishy taste that turns some people off of shrimp.  Thanks, Eating Well!
Paired with curried cauliflower and leftover broccoli and butternut, this was a delicious and nutritious meal.  Needless to say, I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment