Saturday, April 2, 2011

Nothing in the fridge or pantry

I just cleaned the fridge and pantry, but what about restocking it?  Of course I didn't!  I was a "single mom" for the last 5 days with a hormonal week and a goopy eyed girl, so I just didn't feel like going to the store.  Not to mention, when daddy's away, dinners are super easy and consist of mostly leftovers or easy to throw together staples.

Daddy's home now and hasn't had anything healthy to eat in a few days, so I thought it was a great day to get this family back on track by decreasing our junk intake.  Not to mention, I had some chicken breasts in the fridge that pretty much told me if I didn't cook them today, they refused to be consumed without giving us all tummy aches.  There was no way that we'd be able to eat 6 chicken breasts though.  Have you seen how big those suckers are?!  The solution was to cut, lightly season, and griddle the chicken so that we could enjoy it today, and have some for salads and meals during the rest of the week.

But, with trying to reduce our grain/flour consumption (that whole going Paleo thing), I was perplexed about what to serve with it.  Luckily, I found a butternut squash in my newly organized pantry, and some broccoli in the freezer.  Yay!  I usually roast butternut, but I was not in the mood to wait 40 minutes + to eat. Instead, I cut the butternut in half and microwaved it for almost 20 minutes.  After slicing it on the kids' plates, I put a small dollop of butter and a little salt on it. Surprise!  L loved it.  I couldn't even believe it.  I think C would've liked it too, if J hadn't smooshed hers all of the plate and then after it was cold, complained about eating it.
Regardless though, all of my kids had steamed broccoli, chicken, and butternut squash. All plates were licked clean.  So happy!  And, L even asked for seconds of butternut and chicken! So thrilled to reintroduce a veggie I love to my kids, and have them enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment