Monday, April 4, 2011

Potty Training Success!...I hope

Potty training is one of things every parent dreads.  Its that difficult step between constantly changing diapers to waste cleanup freedom, and probably one of the grossest periods of time in any parent's life.

L was a fairly easy kid to train.  When he was 16 months old, he started peeing on the potty, but he refused to take that next step until he was exactly 2 1/2 years old.  We had to promise him one of those drive in Jeeps to get the complete potty training success.  We had tried charts, rewarding with toy cars, and even took toys away when he was too busy playing to be bothered with using the potty.

J was super easy. When L was 30 months old, she was 10 months old and really interested in using the potty like "Dodo".  Needless to say, she was completely trained by the time she was 17 months.  I had learned my lesson with L, that J needed to be trained and away from diapers before C joined us, since he went through a period of regression after J was born.  Success never felt so good.

Then, we get to C.  I was all prepared to let her take her time, well, that was until I found out that Q would be joining us.  There is just something about 2 kids in a diaper that scares me.  Maybe its the cost, maybe its the sheer amount of diapers, or the big poos.  Who knows.  I just know that I'm not interested.  So, I started training in November 2010, but C's urologist told me in December that I needed to nix that idea until she was completely ready to make that leap herself.  Turns out that holding urine in increases the likelihood of a bladder infection, which is exactly what we are trying to avoid with her since she has grade IV bilateral primary vesicoureteral reflux and infections can cause scarring of the kidneys.

My thoughts after this warning were 1. yay!  No pressure to train this one and 2. Come on!  I do not want 2 kids in diapers!  Of course, whatever her doctor recommended was going to be followed.  So, I backed off and just left the potties around the house.  Every time we had some success, it would be followed with many failures, especially when it came to #2.  She just was not interested in it...until last week.  We were at the library when L had to "go poop," as he announced to the entire story time.  C just had to go with him and watched as he went.  She was so thrilled and clapped for him.  That probably has something to do with the fact that every time she uses the potty, L practically throws a party for her...too cute!  She immediately climbed on the potty and went #2 herself.  Sweet success...or not.  But, Friday, she wasn't successful and as a result, made quite the mess.  She was mortified.

And that seems to be all it took.  Today was day 3 with undies on and no accidents!  I really hope that I haven't spoken too soon, again, but I really think we have a potty trained girl here.  I think the fact that her bestie, G, is recently wearing undies too will help her stay on track.  She was even dry when she woke up this morning.  This is huge since she was leaking out of her diaper every day for the past 2 weeks. No matter how she got there, I am stoked.  Just reaffirms for me that no matter how hard you try, your child will do some things (like using the potty) when they are ready to do them, no matter how hard you try to encourage a quicker response.
Congrats to my big girl rock star! Mommy is so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment