Monday, April 4, 2011

Hawaiian Curried Chicken

What to do with that leftover chicken besides eating it as a plain chicken with veggies again?  I definitely didn't want to that.  I scoured the Internet in search for leftover chicken recipes.  Most of what I found were sandwiches, salads, or ways to mix it with pasta.  I'm not even going to attempt a salad with my kids, and bread and pasta don't necessarily fit in with my reduced grains/flour lifestyle.  Very frustrating, until I came upon this recipe for Hawaiian Curried Chicken.

I just had to figure out what to serve it over, instead of rice...sweet potatoes!  Of course, if you can eat something over rice, you can eat it over pasta or potatoes.  I made a couple of modifications (cooking spray instead of oil/butter and crushed pineapple instead of chunks) to the recipe and what turned out, according to L, was a "very tasty chicken, full of flavor".  Yes, my 5 year old describes food like that, strange, huh?
Paul's plate.  The kids and I shared a sweet potato with cinnamon sprinkled on it.
I think my kids liked it because they love pineapple and coconut.  They even ate their veggies (well, L didn't eat his tomato) because they were able to dip them in sauce from the chicken.  C actually is the only one that gave me a hard time about eating dinner tonight, though she gobbled up the zucchini because she thought they were cucumbers.  In the end, the girls cleaned their plates, but only after refusing to let them down from the table or give them extra pineapple until they did.  Frankly, I think C is just in a "fight my mom over everything" kind of a stage right now.  I really hope that ends soon, though.

When P got home, I asked him what he thought.  His response: "it was different."  Okay, I'm shocked.  J and L gave the chicken "2 thumbs up," and C ate it without fighting me too much in the end.  Personally, I enjoyed it as well.  I think I will make this again, perhaps adding the veggies into the sauce.  All and all, I do recommend you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment