Friday, February 11, 2011

Happened Upon a Purpose

I told a friend today that I have a blog.  "Really?  I didn't know that.  What's it about?"  I had no clue how to answer.  Nothing?  Its like Seinfeld, I guess, about whatever is irking me that day.  I like this, but who wants to log on and hear me rant and rave.  Maybe, my blog should have a purpose.  

I thought long and hard about what things I love: my kids and husband, my family, exercising, and of course, food!  That's right.  My hubby, P, actually tells me all the time that I plan my day around food; what I'm going to eat and when.  Of course I do!  I have kids.  Sorry to say, my favorite thing is NOT having whiny kids crying because they are hungry.  Frankly, its just not fun.  Not to mention, except for 7 months out of the last 6 years, I have been either pregnant or nursing.  Oh yea, you guessed it...FEED ME!  As a result, I always ensure that I know when and where that next meal is.

What better to do, than to write about food.  So, each day, not only will you get my little daily rant, but you'll also get the highs and lows of our family meals.  I hope to use this to document recipes my family loves, and to track things that didn't really work out the way I had planned.  Hopefully, this will allow for me to provide my family with healthy options that they will love, in a nice variety, aka, no real "staple" meals.  Bear with me as we embark upon this journey.  You should notice that we will be having meatless meals more than once a week, and I hope that this will inspire you to try some meatless meals with your families too!

This "purpose" struck me today as my kids and I ate a most delicious dinner: roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and steamed broccoli.  L had looked at dinner and said, "Mom, I wish we were having that delicious soup from last night".  I must admit, that soup was delicious!  In the crock pot, I threw 1 box veggie stock, 2 bay leaves, 2 celery stalks, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1 pound of white beans and a ham hock.   Six hours into it, I added half a cabbage.  SO GOOD.  But, I digress.

I was so confused this evening because this is the kid that always orders mashed potatoes.  Then...LIGHTBULB...he saw the mashed potatoes and his face lit up. "Mom, mashed potatoes are my favorite favorite food.  Thank you, thank you, thank you"  Really, I could not be more happy.  And, of course, since he was thrilled about dinner, the girls had no problem eating their meals.

The only shocking thing, J does not thrilled about mashed potatoes.  She ate them, but it seemed she was doing so to appease me.  WHAT?!  I know!  I couldn't believe it.  L had 3 servings, C had 2, and J choked down her 1.  I personally think mashed potatoes are my most favorite food, ever.  What really is not to love great flavor, great texture, a vessel to be paired and mixed with any veggie or sauce, a comfort food?!  Really, besides the calorie count (if you load it with butter), they are truly the perfect food.  Now, it is winter, so I may feel differently in the warmer months, but right now mashed potatoes=love!

I wish I could say that this meal was a homemade treasure, but I must admit, I do NOT like to touch raw meat.  It is so foul, gross, slimy, and let's face it, its another creatures flesh.  Yuck!  I even have a difficult enough time eating meat lately.  After going vegetarian for a month, it has really been difficult to find my former passion for meat eating.  So, this was a Perdue Oven Ready Seasoned Roaster.  I didn't need to touch it.  I just cut open the bag and threw it in the oven for 3 hours - perfect.  My J had 3 servings of chicken, and C and L had 2.  It was even big enough to fill P and have half to throw into another meal or 2 later this week.  Definitely worth it!

Tonight's meal is not one that I'd label "healthy" because of the part that butter played in the taters, but it is one that the whole family enjoyed (read: no one cried at the table), one that I will consider making again.  It truly was the perfect ending to a chilly, but fantastic day with 3 happy children.  Yes, God, I would like a repeat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment