Monday, February 21, 2011

A sick snow day

We went to bed last night, full of dreams of spin, pirates and ice slides.  Instead when we woke up, we were hit with reality: 6+ inches of snow.  Yay???  Not really.  C has been up the past few nights, crying.  Finally, she complained to my mom last evening that her ear hurt - hello Dr!  I have the worst head cold known to man.  What makes it worse? hmmm...being pregnant.  You can't take ANYthing.  Sure, you can take some Tylenol brand products, but since Tylenol was recalled and removed from the shelves several months ago, it is (a.) difficult to locate the generic versions and (b.) I've lost my faith in Johnson & Johnson.  On a side note: my faith in J&J is so shaken that I even purchased Baby Magic for my cousin's baby shower, instead of my typical J&J baby bath care products, something I never would have done before.

So, I sit and suffer.  Or really? My kids sit and suffer because their mom is basically an organic pile of junk, taking up valuable space on the couch.  Don't get me wrong, I did manage to take C to the doctor and pharmacy for her double ear infection, and did 12 pages of a learning workbook with J, and 2 with L, but besides that...blubber.  Poor P had to shovel both our driveways, and then was nice enough to plow 2 neighbors out.  He also did laundry and got the kids bathed and into bed.  Ok...so when I bitch about my husband in the future, remind me of days like this.

It took everything in me to peel my carcass off of the couch to make dinner.  Again, I was looking for a quick fix.  Something, fast, easy, and guaranteed to please since I just don't have the brain cells to listen to kids cry over dinner.  The solution: Breakfast.  That's right!  I've been wanting to have a nice breakfast with my kids for a few weeks now, but we never seem to have time, even on the weekends.  But, really, it doesn't take time to make it, simply to eat it.  On the menu, I had Jenny O maple turkey sausage links, whole grain blueberry waffles, and scrambled eggs filled with veggies.  

I adapted the waffles from Eat Better America and the kids LOVE them.  Here's the recipe if you'd like:

1 1/4cup whole wheat flour
1/2cup quick-cooking oats
3teaspoons baking powder
1tablespoon sugar
1 1/2cups fat-free (skim) milk
2tablespoons applesauce
1egg
1cup fresh blueberries


What's great about these is that you can top them with blueberries, pure maple syrup, or a little butter because they have so few calories.


I was floored when the kids gobbled down everything, including the eggs.  This is no feat to be taken lightly.  Every Sunday brunch, my Grandfather makes eggs, and every time, I have to hear about how the kids do not like eggs, especially L.  But, these eggs were a hit, even though they contained mushrooms (a much hated food in the minds of the kids) and red bell peppers (despised by all 3 of them, unless they are roasted, in which case, J will eat them).  I simply sauted the mushroom and peppers with some dehydrated onions (I know, scary! but I'm out of fresh onions), salt and pepper.  That's it.  And, when they were done, I simply sprinkled them with grated cheese. SO GOOD! 


After dinner, I returned to my resting place on the couch.  Such a lazy day.  Feel like crap, but I'm hoping this will fade tomorrow.   Who knows.  Maybe breakfast for dinner will become a more frequent occurrence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment