Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unsolicited Review of Crayola Modeling Magic

For Christmas, my kids received Crayola modeling magic. Its like play doh, but you can either reuse it or its supposed to dry into the form you've molded it.  J, L, and I were SO thrilled and eagerly made tons of things; mice, flowers, and many things that looked like "poop", but the kids considered to be masterpieces.  We lovingly placed our designs on a plate and allowed them to dry over night, just like the box said.  But, alas, when the kids rushed downstairs over 24 hours later, they were disappointed to find that only 2 held up, and not even for long.  We were bummed, to say the least, but Santa also brought play doh which the kids turned to during their mourning period.

Well, the other day while shopping sans kids (I KNOW, it was bliss), I discovered that the store had 2 boxes of Modeling Magic's Jewelry kit, for only $2.50 each.  I couldn't believe it.  I knew the kids would be thrilled.  For 3 days, the kids begged to play with it, until finally, a snow day.  J, C, and I sat down and began to fashion our own line of jewelry.  Of course, J insisted that I follow the "destructions" and make the exact same pieces.  Then, the creative juices started to flow and L saw how much fun we were having and eagerly joined in.  This time, I was very cautious. I made sure that none of the pieces were too thin.  Then, we laid the items on a cookie sheet, and I set them in a warm oven, to facilitate drying after I made dinner.  We allowed the items to dry for over 36 hours.  I felt them, they were dry.  Ever so carefully, we thread our beads onto the provided string.  The kids were in hog heaven.




Uh Oh!  PROBLEM:  What are those things on the floor?  Yep, the beads just began to disintegrate as the kids ran around.  They weren't even being harsh on their necklaces. Instead, J was being extra careful that no one bump into her.  As C was drinking her tea, a piece simply fell off and into her cup. The kids were destroyed, tears flowed swiftly.  It was not a pretty picture :(

Bottom line: The kids had a great time, but DO NOT purchase as a modeling clay to dry.  Use it ONLY as play doh, unless you like to disappoint your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment