Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy Birthday to my 2 year old, C!

This week is a roller coaster of emotions, but I'm SO thrilled that I get to celebrate the birth of my 3rd child.  As I thought about how crazy it is to have her birthday the day after the anniversary of my brother's death, I thought back to what my girlfriend, Paula had said to me when I found out that I am expecting my 4th child, "Dennis knows you are a great mom and this is his way of showing that he's still here and loves you" (paraphrased, but you get the gist).  Why did she say that?  I found out that I was expecting on my brother's birthday.   I realized today, that each of my children is somehow connected with my brother, Dennis.  My son, L, was originally due on Nov 7, but after 2 ultrasounds, I urged the doctor to change his due date to what the ultrasound tech said, my brother's birthday.  My J, well, she's named after Dennis because I was 6 months along when he was killed. And of course, the next 2 girls as mentioned above.

Is that just a coincidence? Who knows, but I am going to choose to believe that this is the universe's way of telling me that Dennis will always be a part of not only my life, but my children's as well.  Thank you, universe!  I really appreciate it.

Today, I woke up, revived and with a new attitude.  Instead of depressed, angry, and empty (from yesterday), I awoke full of joy, hope, and a sense of "oh, no!  I have a trillion things to do today. Eeek!"   After getting the kids ready for school/the gym, we went and picked up the most adorable Abby Cadabby cupcakes and cake, hit school/the gym, ordered pizza, took some business calls and answered some emails, hung out with P before he left for his trip, and partook in a conference call for the YMCA.  Oh yeah, baby!  All of this before 11:30, the end of school and the beginning of C's birthday celebration with her friends from the babysitting room at the Y.

According to L,  this was the best party ever.  Oh yeah!  Its amazing what some free swimming, pizza and cupcakes will do to a 5 year old.  Problem? Poor C was not interested in swimming until about 15 minutes before it was time to eat.  Why does it always happen that way?  Must be the way the universe gets to us moms that are just trying to ensure our kids have fun.  At least hunger called her name on schedule.

A quick run to the grocery store was in order following the party and before my afternoon conference call.  Oh yes, because of course, the most stressful part was trying to figure out what to serve my family for dinner.  After last night, a dinner of cod, roasted asparagus, and steamed cauliflower, which ALL of my kids devoured, you would think that there is really no need to stress out of dinner.  But, it wasn't "that" family I was stressed about.  My brother, and 2 of my sister in laws eat nothing.  Yep.  They are super picky, eat no veggies, and are very difficult to feed.   Not to mention that my dad and grandfather usually always have something to say about a meal.  Couple that with the fact that I had no time to actually make dinner, I was stressed.  I went with my mother's suggestion and made sloppy joe's/whimpies (which apparently, my brother and his wife don't like), some pre-made pasta salads from the deli, a green salad, and leftover mashed rutabaga.  Wouldn't you know? My kids ate nothing.  That's right.  They had a little pasta salad, some hummus on carrots and crackers, but that is it.  Meanwhile, my niece and nephew inhaled their sloppy joe's.

Am I upset? Absolutely NOT!  My kids will eat fish and veggies for dinner.  Who cares if they won't eat ground meat in a tomato sauce.  They love cauliflower!  How many kids do you know that fight over the last floret?  I know 3.  I am not sad to be removing whimpies from my menu forever.  Information that makes me happy that I chose this menu idea.

And, what's better than this?  My brother, G, told me that he didn't believe that we'd be eating at 6, when I said.  My sister-in-law, S, commented that she wondered why my brother, D, always has to get here early because we always eat late.  Well, my friends, dinner was served at 5:58.  Booyah!  And that's how I roll!

The only thing that would have made the day better would have been having my husband here to celebrate with us...oh, and not finding out that there is a leak in my roof.  All and all, a great day to celebrate the life of one very special little girl, a little girl that went to bed singing "Happy Birthday to you.  Happy Birthday to you.  Happy Birthday to ME.  Happy Birthday to you".

The last 2 years have brought us 2 hospitalizations, at least 10 catheterizations, and a complete change in personality (yes, she will do it all by herself).  She remains a little girl that is always eager to give kisses and snuggles her head against your shoulder when you pick her up.  She loves her brother (Dodo) and her sister (Nina) more than anything or anyone in the world, oh, and Piglet (puppy).  We are so very blessed to have her in our lives.  My hope for her next year is that she remains infection free, successfully makes it through her surgery, embraces potty training, loves her baby sister and WeeTots, and continues to grow into the smart little lovey she is.  Oh, and sleeping through the night in her own bed like she used to would be great too!  Happy Birthday, C!  Mommy LOVES you!

No comments:

Post a Comment