Sunday, March 13, 2011

Simplification: Mom's Closet

While perusing Facebook, I noticed that one of my mommy friends was taking part in an organizational "event", if you will, called Project Simplify.   If you'd like to learn more about it, visit Simple Mom.  I could not resist!  Though I am not participating in full (read: I am not taking photos and posting, etc, etc), I am going to tackle each problem area assigned.

A week prior, I had taken on my girls' room, out of dread and fear of adding a 3rd child to that bedroom in a matter of months.  I took some of the ideas my friends have put into play and coupled those with the items I already had on hand.  That's where it stopped though.  I did not take that momentum and carry it on to other rooms.

Not only do I not have the motivation, I lack the know how.  To be completely honest, my house is an organizational nightmare.  I don't think that I ever truly moved in. And frankly, I am cheap.  Its hard for me to purchase organizational tools because I'm not sure how to use them and I don't want to waste the money doing so.  In other words, I need HELP!

Week 1's assignment was to focus on yourself and simplify your bedroom closet.  This task could have been much more difficult, if I wasn't pregnant.  But, since I am, I simplified their recommendations to meet my needs and took the following steps:

1. Trashed all stained items.
2.  In my 55 gallon garbage bag, I placed all the clothes that I have not worn in at least 5 years and do not foresee wearing again.  I also added a couple of old purses and clothes that I know that I will never wear again because frankly, they are ugly!  Needless to say, the bag is full!  I hope the Salvation Army can use it.
3.  I placed all my non-maternity items on the top shelf so that I can revisit them in 5 or 6 months (well, 8-10 is probably more realistic).
4.  The clothes that remained, are now hanging R.O.Y.G.B.I.V.B.B.ly in my closet.
5.  Both of my dresser drawers were emptied, sorted, and repacked.

This only took me a couple of hours, which I have to say shocked me.  I must say though, I'm glad I took the time to do so since every morning I stand in my closet, bewildered and bummed that I could find nothing to wear.  No, I don't have more clothes to wear, but at least I can see what I do have.  And, I learned some lessons:

1. I truly need to vary the colors in my wardrobe.  Most of my stuff is black, purple or blue.
2. I have tons of maternity pants, none of which really fit me.
3. There are a couple of items that I refuse to ever give away: my brother's sweaters and a stained T-shirt with his picture on it.
4. I have a load of dresses to go out to a nice dinner in...and I'd really like to wear them more often.
5. I have been blessed with some amazing friends that have been ever so gracious to donate their used maternity clothing to me.
6. I really haven't gone clothes shopping for myself in a long time. Besides the clothes my husband has purchased for me as Christmas gifts, most of my wardrobe dates back over 10 years.  And, yes, much of it is coming back into style.  Lucky me ;)
7. Once this baby is born, I better lose that weight rather quickly or I won't fit into anything.
8. I do have lingerie, 4 items.  Who knew?!

This really was a rewarding experience.  I even carried that momentum into my kids' toy room this afternoon.  WooHoo!  I'm looking forward to receiving next week's assignment tomorrow because if anyone needs their life simplified, I feel like its me!

1 comment: