Friday, March 25, 2011

Paleo?

I have a girlfriend who's family "went Paleo" a month or so ago. But, my recent stint with vegetarianism filled me with much skepticism about a diet that discourages legumes and grains and encourages lean protein in the form of animal flesh.  I read a lot about how the acidity level of the human mouth/saliva differs from that of other carnivores, that we are more in line with herbivores.  Made sense.

But, what I cannot deny is how great my pregnant girlfriend feels and looks.  And, she inspired another friend of ours to give this Paleo thing a try, meanwhile, 2 other women I know are doing the same thing.  The results?  In one week, these 3 ladies lost 4, 4 1/2, and 5 pounds.  They all seem to be doing really well on it and I haven't really heard many complaints at all.   Can't help it, but I'm inspired to give this thing a try.

The thing to keep in mind though, is that this is not really a "diet", instead, it is a lifestyle change.  I still have many questions, like:
1. Is this safe for children?
2. Is this safe for pregnant women?
3. What about all this meat?  Is there a way to reduce the amount of meat and up something else?

Regardless, my kids had grains during breakfast and lunch, and my previous weight loss "travels" have taught me to limit my grains to once a day, so I decided to make a Paleo dinner of turkey burgers, roasted asparagus, and a salad with cucumber, sunflower seeds, and avocado.  I pretty much knew straight off the back that the kids would only eat their obligatory 1 spear of asparagus, C would only eat the cucumbers, and J would only eat the sunflower seeds and avocado, so I decided to put some veggies in the turkey.  This is not a new concept, obviously, but I wanted to see what I could hide in there tonight.

I decided to go with the yellow summer squash I picked up the other day. No one in my family, besides me, likes it, so I was intending on finding a way to fix it so that they would eat it.  What better than to puree it?! Into the food processor it went with an orange bell pepper and an onion.
The mixture was ultra wet, but I went with it anyway.  To the turkey, I added the puree, ground mustard, Worcestershire pepper, and an egg to help hold them together.  Here was dinner:
The kids LOVED the burgers and had 2, which really shocked me.  I think the flavor of the bell pepper overpowered the subtle flavor of the summer squash.  They dipped their burgers in ketchup (which I'm sure is not Paleo-friendly), but I'm okay with that.

Paleo dinner #1 was a success.  I must say that I will not go full boar with this as we will still have grains of some sort once a day, but I will be more thoughtful about the food I put on the table for dinner...well, when I'm not feeling like a complete lazy bum like yesterday ;)

1 comment:

  1. How 'bout I just left the worlds longest comment and it got deleted? GRRR! I'll try to remember it and tell you tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete