Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pesto soup

A friend shared Nana's Chicken Pastina Soup with me in January and I've been meaning to try it, but just never seem to have chicken thawed in our house.  Well, thawed or not, I've had that jar of pesto in my pantry and I was bent on using it, but of course, I don't have pastina and wasn't really interested in adding additional carbohydrates to our dinner, so I basically left it out and it turned out great!

I often forget how fast and easy it is to use a crock pot, but this put that thought up front and center again.  The other morning, I got up about 15 minutes early and cut up 3 carrots and 2 celery stalks, then threw it into the pot with a box of chicken stock, a handful of frozen diced onion, and 2 frozen chicken breasts.  Viola!  When dinner time hit, I just shredded the chicken with a fork and added 5 Tbsp of pesto and 3 Tbsp of lemon juice.

Could not believe how much the kids enjoyed the soup.  I have learned to leave salt and pepper out of my soups since the kids seem to enjoy shaking them in there themselves, but they didn't really ask for any.  Shocking.  L even told me that he loved the broth, which I think is hilarious hearing that out of a 5 year old's mouth.  It was even better the second day!  What's the best thing about soups though?  The kids eat all of their veggies :)

Only 1 problem: pesto + pregnancy = heartburn

So, until we meet again in the fall, chicken pesto soup.  You will be missed.  Instead, I will be looking for another soup idea for tomorrow night and our potential April Fool's Snow.  I'm thinking something Thai inspired...hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment