Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's day o' ....

The verdict on the spinach green cupcakes is in: SUCCESS!  That's right.  There were a couple of kids that didn't like them, but all and all, most of the kids enjoyed them.  Even more shocking?  Some kids I know that don't eat anything, and I do mean anything, ate them!  Strangely enough, they were right next to cupcakes with icing on them, and more of my cupcakes were eaten than the others.  Score!

The weather in NEPA was drop dead gorgeous today, about 60 degrees and sunny.  It brought me back to St. Patrick's Day 4 years ago.  That was the day that we buried my baby brother.  It was freezing cold out and the ground was covered in snow.  Such a horrible day compared to today.  The difference in the weather was echoed in my disposition from then to now.  As I thought about that day, it made me think about how I cannot waste my days, being angry, sad, complacent or lazy.

I used that motivation to get some things accomplished around the house, most namely, I rid my home of baby boys.  That's right.  I have to admit that it felt good to get those boxes out of my attic, while at the same time, I felt so sad.  I know they are going to someone that needs them, and I certainly do not.  Its just the finality of it all.  My L is such a sweetheart; kisses my belly every day, tells me that he needs to protect his sisters, just is a sweet and gentle little boy.  My girls are full of piss and vinegar; mouthy, moody, loving, but its like they are mini me's.  But, 4 kids is enough!  There really is nothing anyone could say to me, even if they gave me a 100% guarantee that #5 would be a healthy boy, to make me agree to have another one, after Q.   Sad, but cleansing to get those clothes out of my home.

I was also able to do 5 loads of laundry, dishes, wipe up the floors, clean the toy room, empty out my car, and pick up a butt load of dog poop.  Oh yeah, baby!  Problem? Right now I have 4 loads of laundry folded, on my couch and no more motivation to put it away. Help!

And, today was my first real experience in the court system, as a CASA.  I witnessed the inefficiency of the court system, the ridiculousness of it, and how it can truly be manipulated, and not for the good.  My role was truly minimal.  I handed in my report, and then, when asked,  I said that I had nothing further to add.  Exciting...right?! I learned so much though, and hopefully, I was able to learn how to be a better support to my CASA child/teen.

Even dinner was a success.  Chicken cacciatore over mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, roasted brussel sprouts and carrots, grapes, and cucumbers, celery and carrots with hummus.  I love this little trick that you may want to try with your kids.  Right around 4:30, I will put veggies and dip out, not say anything about it,  but just put it on the counter.  The kids will actually come and ask me if they can eat them.  Awesome!  And today, the cutest thing happened.  L was trying to figure out if this was a flavored hummus, and asked, "mom, what kind is this?"  C was so quick to respond, mouth full, "hummus!"  She is such the fan.  Love my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment