Saturday, March 26, 2011

A lazy Saturday

Have you ever had a day where you 2nd guess your success as a parent, even though you've enjoyed every minute of the day?  That was my Saturday.  We really had a fantastic day: dance, sushi for lunch, a bowling party, a walk, shopping, ice cream, and then a quite movie night with my kids.  It really was great because I got to spend alone time with each of my kids, doing things they really enjoyed.  It really is a rare moment as parents of multiple children, that we get the chance to spend quality one on one time with our individual kids, but it really is fantastic when it happens!

But, by the end of the day, I was tired and not feeling too hot, so what better than a relaxing, no fuss meal.  Okay, yesterday I was intrigued with the Paleo meals, but they take so much time and energy, neither of which I had in supply last night.  Instead, we did a very simple dinner: blueberries, sunflower seeds, salad, carrot sticks and hummus, turkey wraps, and then ants on a log for dessert. The girls were actually asking for more carrots when all the food was done, so I suggested ants on a log, and to my surprise, they said yes and gobbled them down! I was shocked to see that the least enjoyed items were the turkey wraps.  Neither of the girls wanted to eat theirs, and were content gorging themselves on sunflower seeds, blueberries and veggies.



This "feast" took me all of 5 minutes to prepare, but the kids gobbled it down while we watched Open Season 2 in the living room.  The best thing about it was that the kids just kept eating the celery and carrots, no complaints.  If I would have served them with dinner, they would have sat on their plates, only to be consumed after much complaining and tears.    Not really your traditional definition of a dinner, but the kids did have chicken teriyaki, rice, broccoli and carrots, and miso soup for lunch, and L had a slice of pizza at the party, too.  They should have had plenty of the necessary nutrients to get through the day. And, if not, thank goodness for vitamins!

No comments:

Post a Comment