Sunday, January 1, 2012

Adventures in Patching: Day 1

We decided to start patching today, so we can monitor L's reaction to the patch, in the event that it were to make him cranky or tired.  Before we got started, I let him select 1 of 3 styles of patches.  The lucky patch was white with flames on it.
 The patches we purchased are of an adhesive variety, as I received several warnings against the ones that slip over the glasses. Apparently, they are more likely to allow light to the good eye, reducing the efficacy of patching.

After 2 attempts, I was finally able to fit the patch to his left eye, his good eye without any light coming through.  I don't know why I didn't anticipate this, but putting the glasses back on was a little difficult because the patch didn't contour to his face, meaning that the glasses didn't sit on his face in a normal manner.  Luckily though, L was as happy as a clam as he resumed video gaming with P.  I was starting to think that this patching thing would be easy.
 After 2 attempts, I was finally able to fit the patch to his left eye, his good eye without any light coming through.  I don't know why I didn't anticipate this, but putting the glasses back on was a little difficult because the patch didn't contour to his face, meaning that the glasses didn't sit on his face in a normal manner.  Luckily though, L was as happy as a clam as he resumed video gaming with P.  I was starting to think that this patching thing would be easy.
30 minutes into it, "mom, can I take this off yet?"

1 hour into it, "how much longer do I have?"

90 minutes "its itchy!  I want to take it off."  This was followed by constant rubbing of the patch.  He even took his glasses off and went to bed, in an effort to avoid any more of a requirement to focus his right eye.  It took about 20 minutes of bedtime whining to finally get him to agree to come downstairs so that we could go to pick up J from her sleepover and go to my parents' for New Year's dinner.  I ended up having to carry him down the stairs because he just wouldn't cooperate.  Then came the tears because he didn't want to leave the house with the eye patch on.  Broke my heart.

The whole car 35 minutes or so in the car, he put his head down and closed his eyes.  I know that that kind of defeated the purpose of wearing the patch, but I figure we can start slow.

3 hours after patching, we arrived at my parents' and L reluctantly went inside.  I was tickled pink at everyone's reactions.  My brothers, A and G, was there, along with my niece and nephew.  They went on and on about how cool L looked, and bragged about how they have glasses, too.  It really lifted his spirits.  I didn't hear another complaint or word about the patch until we reminded him that it was time to take it off.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I'm pretty sure it won't be smooth sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment