Sunday, January 29, 2012

Making our food more Digestible

Ever heard that eating healthy is expensive?  IT IS!  Holy hannah!  In an effort to save money, I started looking into beans.  Not only are they inexpensive dry, but they are a great substitute for meat.

PROBLEM!  Sorry, but I have to say it.  Beans make our home one stinky place.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I'm sure I don't need to elaborate any further.

Briefly, our bodies have a hard time breaking beans down.  They get stuck in our intestines where they begin to ferment, causing a build up of gas which we release.  Not good.

One way to combat this is to sprout your beans.  Essentially, you allow the bean to sprout, to grow another bean before you eat it.  For more information, click here.  Basically, you soak the item over night, then you rinse and keep damp for the next 1-3 days, rinsing once every 12 hours, until the little sprouts form.  Its pretty easy.  To date, I've sprouted brown rice, chickpeas, black beans, oats and lentils (I think).

Do they taste different?  I'd be lying if I said no, but not too noticeable.  Does it help with the fermentation?  Yes.  Yes, it does.  I defiantly have noticed when I've eaten canned beans, as opposed to sprouted beans.

When I was reading about sprouting, I also read that you should soak your nuts, too.  Okay, are you done giggling? hee hee.  Get your mind out of the gutter.  The other day, I decided to do just that and soaked our raw almonds over night.  After soaking, I dehydrated them in our oven.  Yum!  These tasted so much better than unsoaked almonds.  The flavor was more developed and they weren't as mushy, if you could describe a nut that way.  Okay, I think I should just call this topic done.  Eek! hahaha


I'm interested in whether or not anyone else sprouts/soaks their foods to improve digestibility.  Does it work for your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment