Monday, January 2, 2012

Fighting Fatty McFatFat: Day 1

I got up this morning, eager to begin this weight loss journey.  Then, Q threw up all over me, my head started to hurt from sleep deprivation, and I just essentially lost all the motivation with which I started the day.  In an effort to manufacture some additional motivation, I decided to take a drastic step.  My girlfriend, Karen had mentioned that her husband took some before shots of her.  I thought that was a great idea.  Right?  Who doesn't love to see absolutely hideous photos of themselves (well, to be honest, her before shots are my hopeful after shots, but we all have our goals, don't we?!), especially posted on the internet?  She didn't post hers, but I'm thinking that its the only way to hold myself accountable for my gross negligence.  Yep. Gross, disgusting and just plain right unacceptable negligence.

Karen turned me onto the Body for Life fitness plan.  It looks great.  I did a couple of days of toning with her, but not enough to make a dent in the damage I've done.  I've gained 7 pounds since Q was born, all since the beginning of December. I can thank my lack of willpower and my love of sweets for that. So, I decided that I'm going to do the 12 week challenge, without the supplements because I'm nursing.

This morning, I attempted to do the cardiovascular workout.  About 5 minutes into the run, I got bored.  I really can't say that I couldn't do it because I don't believe I even gave it enough time.  Its strange.  Its like I gave up before it got too hard because it was getting a little hard and boring.  Instead of doing the 20 minute prescribed workout, I ended up doing 25 minutes of my own little interval training.  It was quite pathetic.  I even had Forks over Knives playing, a documentary about the link between nutrition and poor health, and I still couldn't stay motivated.

I kind of had a mini emotional moment with P later, expressing my wishes to go back to my summer of 2010 life.  That was me, at my thinnest, loving to workout with my girlfriends, and really focused on my diet and that of my family.  If only there was a rewind button.
Yet, there isn't.  Now, I've got a lot of work to get done and so many different ways to go about it.  Here's my plan:
The next 3 weeks: The 21 Day Total Body Transformation
The 12 weeks after that: The Body for Life Challenge

Of course, none of this will work if I continue to consume garbage, so our diet is a primary focus.  We will be reducing our meat consumption and focusing on a more plant-based diet.  This doesn't mean that we are removing meat from our diets completely, but I'm going to be pushing for no more than 10% of our daily consumption to be from animals.  Not to mention, we are going to be increasing our veggie and water intake.  Sundays will become our free days, to keep the metabolism pumping.

Here's what I ate today: Ham and cheese sandwich with Dijon mustard, lots of water, coco pops with peanut butter and a little strawberry preserves, and a salad with feta, cucumbers, carrots and balsamic vinaigrette

Not the healthiest of days, as I should have increase my veggies and water, but okay given that I took a nap and didn't wake up until 5 (probably coming down with something again), absolutely starving.

Here are the pictures of my starting weight, at a whopping 189 pounds.  Yikes!
Okay, ignore the wet marks.  This was immediately following my rendezvous with Q's vomit.

Freaky!

Okay, not horrible at the back, but whoah! Don't look at the purple!
Let me tell you.  I am nervous as all get up to post these and let you in on my dirty little secret.  My hope is that you can help to motivate me on this journey, and that I can possibly help to inspire you on yours because you'll know that if my chunky butt can do this, then you know you totally can!

1 comment:

  1. Karen I'm so proud of you! Can I just say that your pictures are far less scary than mine? I totally chickened out of posting mine, but maybe youve motivated me to now. Maybe. ;) hope to see you at the gym once these kids of mine arent sick.
    Oh- and hoping that wasnt an entire day of eating?! Cause it looked more like one meal to me! Dont drop your calories TOO low, or your metabolism will stall- but Im sure you already know that. Good luck to us!

    ReplyDelete