Sunday, January 29, 2012

Vegan Experimentation ~ Fighting Fatty McFatFat

Obesity is a problem in our country.  We hear it all the time.  The solution?  Get moving.  Yep.  That's it.  Congress, the schools and the 1st Lady all tell us that we need to exercise each day.  I've done it.  I've done it and felt great.  I've loved it.  But, I've learned a lot.  The most important thing:  It doesn't really help you lose weight if you are still eating crap. 

That's right!  Weight loss is more what and how much you eat than your workout ethic. I exercised for 5 months and dropped 2 pounds.  That's it.  

This time around, I've decided to focus on our food first, partly because I know it works and mostly because I'm a little bit lazy right now.  In the last 3-4 weeks, I have lost 6 1/2 pounds.  That's not tons, but I'm trying to lose weight responsibly, since I am still breastfeeding.  Also, I've been kind of lazy and had a few fat girl days where I've enjoyed way too many of the sweets.  

Here are a couple of great recipes that P, the kids and I have tried and really enjoyed.  These are all easy things that you would probably have in your house any given week.

Vegan French Toast (adapted from the Engine 2 Diet)
Ingredients: Banana (mashed), Cinnamon, Vanilla, Almond Milk, Whole Wheat Bread
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a pie plan, dip bread in the mixture, cook on griddle pan.

Vegan Lemon Blueberry French Toast
add the zest and juice of a lemon and a handful of mashed blueberries to the above recipe

Veggie Latkes
Ingredients: 1/2 head of small cabbage, 2 carrots, 2 scallions, 2 potatoes, ground flax seed, water, flour, garlic powder, ground hot red pepper, salt, pepper
Directions: Mix 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed and 9 Tbsp water.  Set aside until it gels.  In the food processor, shred the cabbage, potatoes and carrots.  Drain as much water from them as possible.   Season with spices and add diced scallions, flax goop and approx. 5 Tbsp of flour.  The flour is kind of there to suck up the water and the flax seed acts as an egg to help keep them together.  Put mounds in a hot skillet, cover and cook on both sides for about 8 minutes total.
Variation: I added some left over mashed sweet potato and it was delicious!  
Serve with an Asian flavored sauce (soy, rice vinegar and ginger) or even just ketchup.

P's Stir Fry
Ingredients: 2 packages of Shirataki Tofu noodles, cabbage (bok choy is a yummy choice), mushrooms, carrots, red bell peppers, edamame, scallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar
Directions: Cook all veggies until desired softness, add rinsed noodles, 1 part soy sauce, 2 parts vinegar, and freshly grated ginger (to taste). 

Sprouted Hummus
Ingredients: 2 cups of cooked sprouted chickpeas, 1/4 cup tahini, juice of 1 lemon, 1 roasted red pepper, 1 big bulb roasted garlic, 1 small onion (caramelized), salt to taste
Directions: Throw all ingredients in a food processor and process until desired texture

Veggie Panini
Ingredients: whole wheat bread, spinach, tomatoes, spicy mustard, salad blend (I like the herb blend from Olivia's Organics), hummus, marinated artichokes
Directions: Spread generous amount of hummus on both slices of bread, pile the veggies high in between the 2 slices, put on a griddle pan and put something really heavy on top of the sandwich and cook for 3 minutes on each side.  Dip in mustard, if desired.

Banana Ice Cream
Ingredients: Frozen bananas, dark chocolate chips (if you are having a craving)
Directions: Place ingredient(s) in blender and blend until smooth.  Enjoy!

Homemade Pizza
Ingredients: Homemade pizza dough, tomato sauce (seasoned with basil, oregano, garlic, onion) or coconut curry sauce, spinach, artichokes, black olives, garlic, any other veggies of choice, cheese (if desired)
Directions: Top the pizza dough with a generous helping of sauce, especially if you aren't using cheese, add veggies and bake according to the pizza dough instructions.


We've had a lot of trials with this whole vegetarian/vegan/plant strong diet that we've been working on. Some foods have been harder to give up than others, like hot dogs for P and the kids, and cheese.  Cheese and milk. I've been more successful than the rest of the family, but probably because my true struggle is sweets...chocolate and sugar, in general.  I've never been huge on meat, and the cheese/milk urge has pretty much been decreased immensely by the documentary, Forks Over Knives.  

P has been doing really well, but admits that he doesn't think he'll ever be able to give up milk.  That's understandable, he's been drinking milk in his tea since he was a wee lad in jolly ol' England.  hee hee

I'm looking forward to trying some more veggie dishes, continued weight loss and some increased success and motivation on the exercise front.  Stay tuned!


10 comments:

  1. Though i am not a proponent for the Vegan diet ( my brother was vegan and suffered many health problems from it) I do say congrats on the weight loss! 6 pounds is great! I'll have to keep up with you on here since we wont be seeing you guys much anymore. :( keep it up, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I have to ask because this is not the first time you've said it and my aunt has said the same thing: what is missing from the vegan diet that makes it unhealthy...or is it that their is too much of something else? Oh, and I'm guilty of consuming a sprinkle of parmesean cheese tonight. Oops!

      Delete
  2. It could have been the lack of protein-essential amino acids. He lived off vegetables and bread. I dont remember particulars, but he had arthritis by the time he was 21, a lot of joint problems, inflammation, etc. And i know that when he went vegan he had an onset of depression/anxiety. He was very healthy, muscular through out his life- played soccer almost professionally. When he stopped eating meat and went vegan we watched him waste away. His health deteriorated and he was at the Dr. All the time. Watching him and reading Paleo sources that go against veganism as a healthy diet have just convinced me that its not the best way to go. Of course I could be wrong and it sounds like you are doing a super job and being really healthy...so, who knows. Just my opinion here. Nothing personal. You do what feels right for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totaaly not offended. Just want to make sure I know as much about this stuff as possible, so I can make an informed opinion. I'm going to have to be vigilant an making sure we have all the necessary amino acids so that we don't have the same problems. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to try the veggie panini next. So much to try and figure out with this new lifestyle! I've only been at it a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I got this from WebMD. "Unlike animal protein, most plant-based proteins are "incomplete," meaning they lack some amino acid building blocks. By combining plant proteins, such as rice and beans or hummus on pita bread, they become "complete" with all the essential amino acids found in animal protein." I think as long as you start with a beans and whole grain with your meals, and add veggies on top, you'll be alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response! I think that's the key, right? Just be sure to have some of everything: grain, veggie and bean. I think I'll also start incorporating more quinoa, since it contains all 9 amino acids. I'll be sure not to miss any that way ;-)

      Delete
  5. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/how-our-vegan-diet-made-us-ill-848322.html

    Only because I'm concerned for you, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete